Skip to main content

Telecom Company Hacked, Data of Over 2 million Customers / Subscribers Leaked.



Australian telecom giant Optus on Monday confirmed that nearly 2.1 million of its current and former customers suffered a leak of their personal information and at least one form of identification number as a result of a data breach late last month.

The company also said it has engaged the services of Deloitte to conduct an external forensic assessment of the attack to "understand how it occurred and how we can prevent it from occurring again."

Optus is fully owned by Singaporean telecommunications conglomerate Singtel, which also has a significant stake in Bharti Airtel, the second largest carrier in India.

"Approximately 1.2 million customers have had at least one number from a current and valid form of identification, and personal information, compromised," Singtel said in an announcement made on its website.

It also said the breach affected expired IDs and personal information of about 900,000 additional customers. It further emphasized that the exposed data did not contain valid or current document ID numbers for some 7.7 million customers.

The leaked data is said to contain email addresses, phone numbers, and dates of births, necessitating that customers remain cautious about potential phishing and smishing attacks.

The company also said it has notified users whose current identification documents had been compromised in the attack. This includes driver license numbers, card numbers, and Medicare ID numbers.

Of the 9.8 million customer records exposed, 14,900 valid Medicare IDs and 22,000 expired Medicare card numbers are estimated to have been exposed, Optus previously disclosed on September 28.

The security incident, which came to light on September 22, involved a malicious actor gaining unauthorized access to customer information. It's not immediately clear how and when the actual intrusion took place.

The attacker, using the alias "optusdata," subsequently published a published a small sample of the stolen data belonging to 10,200 users and demanded that Optus pay a $1 million ransom to avoid more leaks.

The self-identified hacker has since withdrawn the extortion demand while apologizing for the crime and claiming that the "only copy" of stolen data had been destroyed, citing increased public attention.

While it's not known if "optusdata" is the person/group responsible for the breach, the Australian Federal Police (AFP) has launched twin operations to identify the perpetratorsbehind the attack and "supercharge the protection" of the 10,200 customers.

The latter, called Operation Guardian, offers "multi-jurisdictional and multi-layered protection from identity crime and financial fraud," with the agency stating the impacted users had 100 points of identification released online.

"There are reports that sophisticated scammers are contacting Optus customers via phone, email, and text to get further personal information from the victims of the breach," the AFP warned last week.

#THN


#osutayusuf

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Host a Website for Free From Your PC or Laptop.

Why pay for a web hosting service when your old computer can do the same thing? Learn how to self-host your site. If you're planning to launch a website but don't want to pay recurring monthly or annual hosting fees, you can use any old laptop or desktop PC to host a website for free. It's a great way to utilize your old system instead of throwing it away. In this guide, we will install and set up services on our 10-year-old laptop to host a WordPress, Joomla, or custom HTML or PHP-based website with a free SSL certificate. MAKEUSEOF VIDEO OF THE DAY Things You Will Need to Host a Website Following are the pre-requisites to host a website for free from home with just your computer: An old laptop or PC running Ubuntu Server. A registered domain name for your website Ethernet cable to connect the laptop or PC to router for reliable and fast connection Step 1: Update and Upgrade the Packages After  installing Ubuntu Server on your computer , execute the following c...

We Bring You Brief Series of Sanctions Against Uganda Government Officials.

📸: Gen Abel Kandiho. On 9-December-2021, USA slapped sanctions against the then CMI Commander Gen Abel Kandiho. 📸: Gen Kale Kayihura. On 9-December-2022, UK slapped sanctions against former Police Boss Gen Kale Kayihura. 📸: Commissioner General of Prisons, Johnson Byabashaija. Again on this 4-December-2023, the same USA has slapped sanctions against Uganda Prisons Commander Johnson Byabashaija over alleged torture and human rights abuses in Prisons across Uganda. We ask, has USA and UK made December as an LCM to slap sanctions against high ranking government officials in Uganda even when the sanctions just remain on paper without deeper investigations to ascertain logical conclusions or remedy to that effect ?. #iip_updates  #Information_is_Power  #we_inform_the_uninformed

UGANDA ELECTORAL COMMISSION TO ELIMINATE NATIONAL IDENTIFICATION CARDS (IDs) FOR 2021 GENERAL ELECTIONS.

The elimination of using National IDs (Ndagamuntu) for the 2021 elections should not have come as a surprise. One would be very NAIVE to think that Bobi Wine has not prepared for this in his Business Plan under the RISK section. It is public knowledge that our EC is not independent.  It is also public knowledge that Military Dictator Yoweri Museveni will never lose an election. What stunned us this morning is when we noticed that on social media, people were mocking Bobi with his "get your Ndagamuntu".  We are on record for saying to all Our readers that the National ID is like Apartheid in South Africa. Students of History would know how those IDs were being used to arrest people, deny them jobs, deny them basic services. Consequently, Bobi was not wrong and will never be wrong on the Ndagamuntu. Except the ones attacking him and mocking him forget that in Uganda, now, no National ID (Ndagamuntu), no service.  If you have not been denied registering your child i...