Skip to main content

Elon Musk under investigation, Twitter Inc says in court filing.

 



Twitter Inc’s court filing does not identify the focus of the investigation or the federal authority allegedly involved.

Elon Musk's Twitter profile is seen on a smartphone placed on printed Twitter logos.
Elon Musk's Twitter profile sits on printed company logos [File: Dado Ruvic/Illustration/Reuters]

Billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk is under investigation by United States federal authorities for his handling of a $44bn deal to take over Twitter Inc, the social media company has said in a court filing.

Twitter Inc’s court filing, which was released on Thursday, said that Musk was under investigation, but it did not say what the exact focus of the investigation was and which federal authorities were involved.

Twitter, which sued Musk in July to force him to complete the $44bn dealto buy the social media company, said that lawyers for the Tesla Inc CEO had claimed “investigative privilege” in their refusal to hand over documents the company had sought as part of their legal case.

Twitter said that in late September, Musk’s attorneys had provided a “privilege log” identifying documents that would be withheld. That log referenced drafts of a May 13 email to the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and a slide presentation to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).

The court filing, which asked Delaware judge Kathaleen McCormick to order Musk’s attorneys to provide the withheld documents, was made on October 6 — the same day that McCormick paused litigation between the two sides after Musk reversed course and said he would proceed with the deal to buy Twitter.

McCormick has given Musk until October 28 to close the acquisition. If the deal does not get done by then, a trial date will be set for November.

“This game of ‘hide the ball’ must end,” Twitter said in the court filing.

Alex Spiro, a lawyer for Musk, told the Reuters news agency that Twitter’s court filing was a “misdirection” and countered: “It is Twitter’s executives that are under federal investigation.”

Twitter declined to comment on Spiro’s statement and also declined comment when asked by Reuters about its understanding of any investigation into Musk. The SEC did not immediately respond to a request for comment, and the FTC declined to comment.

The SEC has questioned Musk’s comments about the Twitter acquisition, including whether a 9 percent stake that he had built up before announcing his bid had been disclosed late and why it indicated that he intended to be a passive shareholder.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Host a Website for Free From Your PC or Laptop.

Why pay for a web hosting service when your old computer can do the same thing? Learn how to self-host your site. If you're planning to launch a website but don't want to pay recurring monthly or annual hosting fees, you can use any old laptop or desktop PC to host a website for free. It's a great way to utilize your old system instead of throwing it away. In this guide, we will install and set up services on our 10-year-old laptop to host a WordPress, Joomla, or custom HTML or PHP-based website with a free SSL certificate. MAKEUSEOF VIDEO OF THE DAY Things You Will Need to Host a Website Following are the pre-requisites to host a website for free from home with just your computer: An old laptop or PC running Ubuntu Server. A registered domain name for your website Ethernet cable to connect the laptop or PC to router for reliable and fast connection Step 1: Update and Upgrade the Packages After  installing Ubuntu Server on your computer , execute the following c...

We Bring You Brief Series of Sanctions Against Uganda Government Officials.

📸: Gen Abel Kandiho. On 9-December-2021, USA slapped sanctions against the then CMI Commander Gen Abel Kandiho. 📸: Gen Kale Kayihura. On 9-December-2022, UK slapped sanctions against former Police Boss Gen Kale Kayihura. 📸: Commissioner General of Prisons, Johnson Byabashaija. Again on this 4-December-2023, the same USA has slapped sanctions against Uganda Prisons Commander Johnson Byabashaija over alleged torture and human rights abuses in Prisons across Uganda. We ask, has USA and UK made December as an LCM to slap sanctions against high ranking government officials in Uganda even when the sanctions just remain on paper without deeper investigations to ascertain logical conclusions or remedy to that effect ?. #iip_updates  #Information_is_Power  #we_inform_the_uninformed

UGANDA ELECTORAL COMMISSION TO ELIMINATE NATIONAL IDENTIFICATION CARDS (IDs) FOR 2021 GENERAL ELECTIONS.

The elimination of using National IDs (Ndagamuntu) for the 2021 elections should not have come as a surprise. One would be very NAIVE to think that Bobi Wine has not prepared for this in his Business Plan under the RISK section. It is public knowledge that our EC is not independent.  It is also public knowledge that Military Dictator Yoweri Museveni will never lose an election. What stunned us this morning is when we noticed that on social media, people were mocking Bobi with his "get your Ndagamuntu".  We are on record for saying to all Our readers that the National ID is like Apartheid in South Africa. Students of History would know how those IDs were being used to arrest people, deny them jobs, deny them basic services. Consequently, Bobi was not wrong and will never be wrong on the Ndagamuntu. Except the ones attacking him and mocking him forget that in Uganda, now, no National ID (Ndagamuntu), no service.  If you have not been denied registering your child i...